Each year, the Pantone design company announces a "Color of the Year," influencing global trends. This year's color is called "Very Peri," a periwinkle blue with cool lavender undertones. If you want to bring it into your life, here's what you should know.
What Is the Pantone Color of the Year?
The leading authority on color, the Pantone company developed the first color matching system in 1963. They started highlighting an annual Color of the Year in 2000, and it has become a huge event across the worlds of decorating and fashion.
Exactly how the Color of the Year is chosen is unknown, but it involves a secret European meeting of the world's top color experts. Each Color of the Year is announced with an explanation of what the color is meant to evoke.
For 2022, Very Peri focuses on global transitions many of us are navigating, including emerging from isolation, marrying the digital world with the physical world, and stretching the limits of what is possible. This is also the first year that Pantone created a brand new color for Color of the Year.
8 ways to use the 2022 Color of the Year in your home
Very Peri is an intense color, so you use these tips to balance it out:
- Paint a small room. While Very Peri could be overwhelming at scale, its soothing undertones make it a great wall color choice for a powder room or other small space.
- Use it as an accent. Paint a ceiling or accent wall, or even a table or a couple of wooden chairs.
- Incorporate textiles. Very Peri throw pillows, chair cushions, or curtains are an easy way to refresh a room without the commitment of painting.
- Choose accessories. Accessorizing allows you to bring in a pop of Very Peri without overhauling an entire room. You'll soon be able to find this color on everything from flower vases to drinking glasses.
- Experiment with shades, tints and tones. You can create a darker shade by adding black or a lighter tint by adding white. Mixing in gray creates a different tone. This can make it easier to harmonize the color with your existing décor.
- Pair with analogous colors. If you look at a color wheel, analogous colors are adjacent. They'll always go together, so don't be afraid to experiment. For Very Peri, the analogous colors include blues and violets.
- Pair with complementary colors. Complementary colors are directly across from each other on the color wheel. Combining them adds energy and excitement to any decorating scheme. Complementary colors for Very Peri include vibrant yellows and some shades of orange.
- Select a nature theme. Very Peri goes quite well with the colors found in nature. If you're redoing an entire room, consider drawing your inspiration from the natural world. Mix in greens and blues, wooden furniture, or both.
Update your look with the Color of the Year
While home décor in Very Peri is all the rage, it's also incorporated in fashion. Here are some tips to refresh your wardrobe without overwhelming it:
- Choose a shade, tint, or tone that suits you. Very Peri is a cool tone that looks stunning on some people and not so great on others, depending on everything from hair color to complexion. Don't be afraid to go a bit lighter, darker, or more subtle. If you look better in warm tones, try a violet hue with more red in it.
- Focus on one great piece per outfit. Very Peri may be a soft color, but it still stands out. It's better as a statement piece within the outfit rather than a monochromatic look. Pair a Very Peri sweater with simple white or black jeans or Very Peri pants with a pink or blue top.
- Accessorize. If you aren't feeling the color as a clothing choice, choose a nice bag or a statement necklace in Very Peri instead. It will still be modern and fresh while allowing you to keep your preferred clothing color palette.
- Do your makeup or hair. An eye shadow or lipstick in this color will add drama to any look. If you're feeling bold, consult with a hairstylist who can give you a dye job in the most flattering shade of Very Peri.
The Color of the Year in digital design
If you run your own business (side hustles count, whether you're baking for the neighbors or selling handmade jewelry online!), you're probably already aware of the importance of branding. You won't want to torpedo the look your customers already know. But that doesn't mean you can't incorporate some Very Peri into your digital designs. After all, the digital world played an important role in the company's selection of this color.
- Use it as a background. Both soothing and energizing, Very Peri is a fun choice for website backgrounds and apps.
- Show off products. If you don't want to switch your main background color, consider using Very Peri as a backdrop for your more colorful products. It won't grab focus or clash, but will instead offer a soft yet modern neutral feel.
- Carry it through into packaging. If you don't yet have a standard packaging design, consider incorporating Very Peri. If you're also using it on your website and app, the transition will feel very natural. It will also give your products a sense of luxury, no matter what you happen to be selling.
Putting it all together
Very Peri, the Pantone Color of the Year for 2022, is sweeping the globe. If you want to incorporate it into your own life, your options range from home décor to fashion to digital design. It's an intense color that is both energizing and soothing, so you'll want to avoid overdoing it. But in small amounts, it's a beautiful choice for this year of extensive global changes.
Save money with deals from Save
Incorporating the Color of the Year can be easy and inexpensive. With the Save mailer, you'll receive weekly coupons on a variety of home goods, as well as all the everyday essentials you love. Be sure to check your weekly Save mailer for savings on some of the best new home items!
Title tag: How to Use the 2022 Pantone Color of the Year | Save
Meta Description: Want to update your life with the 2022 Pantone Color of the Year? Check out this guide from Save!
Social Copy: Do you want to incorporate the 2022 Pantone Color of the Year into your life? Are you having trouble deciding where to start? From Save, learn about different ways to show off this fun new color!